|Aluminium is completely recyclable and unlike many other recycled materials, recycled aluminium retains all the properties of the original metal. To recycle scrap aluminium takes only 5% of the energy that was required to produce the original metal. This adds to the scrap value and thus makes it more beneficial to recover scrap.
• 95% of aluminium used in transport applications is recycled
• In the construction sector over 85% of aluminium is recovered – (95% of the aluminium in the old Wembley Stadium has been recycled)
• In the production, manufacturing and processing of aluminium, all production scrap can be recovered and recycled without degradation
• In primary aluminium production, 60% of the energy used is generated from renewable sources – hydro and thermal energy schemes
• Over all applications and uses, 73% of “old” aluminium is recycled
• Aluminium is the most common metal and the 3rd most common element, comprising 8% of the earth’s crust
• The aluminium industry worldwide has encouraged land restoration schemes to minimise the environmental impact of bauxite extraction
With its low-cost recyclability, high rate of scrap recovery and the relative abundance of its ore, aluminium is a highly economically and environmentally sustainable material.
Contact Alupro for further information on Aluminium recycling.Website address http://www.alupro.org.uk/.